Knows It All

Monday, July 25, 2005

Ha-muna Ha-muna Ha-muna

You've been there. In the presence of one who makes you feel like jelly, or leaves you speechless. When they look at you, you get panicky, or sweaty, or at least blush. Maybe the whole world goes quiet...and you can't hear anything. It's the mega-crush. The disabling effect of a person you find hot and cool at the same time.

I need to briefly mention here that this post is not about politics, religion, or anything that requires attention. Lately, I have been perusing blogs and learning about "post-modernism" (or to be more clear, how much I don't know about economics), and about pirates , and pregancy , but I am not that deep, creative, or energetic. I am tired. I work a lot in a high stress job and then drive home in an inferno. So...when I blog, I blog from the heart, since it takes less energy.

Ok, so back to where I started. The crush. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my fiance to pieces. He is awesome. But I will never forget that feeling of being in the presence of "him". I love that it was high school, and I was a totally hormonal virgin. But that kid made a mess out of me. It was humiliating, but exciting and the source of hours and hours of conversations among my friends. It was all I thought about.

I hated the girls he liked. I loved his clothes, his walk, his everything. And for the record, I loved his mini-mullet. Oh yeah. 1988-1991. That kid was all that to me. And few others I think. But I was entranced. Could not be dissuaded. Not even when I made out with a cross-eyed jack-ed up grill in tight highwaters behind a hot pink house...oh no. My heart was in being stomped on while "he" made out with the school whore in someone's parents bedroom, and probably much more.

I was painfully aware that acne, a long spiral perm that looked like snakes, and braces did not add up to "hot" in his world. With my dorky ways and ghetto mentality, I can't believe he overlooked me.

Once, when he looked at me, and we held eyes for a moment, I felt so weak and pathetic. I could have died right there. I'm sure he knew and thought it hilarious. I love that he knew. Everyday. I know he knew. And he gave me all my Molly Ringwald in Sixteen Candles moments. I'm glad I didn't have the birthday cake ending. It motivated me to have some dignity and self-respect in my future pursuits. Although I must admit, no one, has ever, ever, made me feel quite as powerless. What is that? Teenage stuff?

Today, I have no idea what his "ha-muna" ranking would be. My guess is, not so much. He wasn't that tall or beefy. I don't recall him being an intellectual. I know he moved on from his baby mama. Point is that sometimes I imagine this super trashy daytime reunion where I am hot and he is not, and I have one of those "Ricki Lake" moments where I sas-chay on by him, wagging my tail in some ridiculous outfit, and say "look what you missed". But then, no matter how it turned out, it'd be the end of a dream, a fantasy. I want to remember him as cool and hot, unattainable. Not broke, or balding, or just not so interesting. I want to imagine a kid that makes me feel like I am in the presence of something beyond me.

There was a hot Maori guy, and a bartender named Bobby "Noofellinni", and a professional soccer player who had a stomach that makes me melt, but those are the only three in real life that have even challenged that feeling. And I know that if I put them in a line-up with "HIM", they are all a million times hotter, but I would still feel like the biggest dork in front of "HIM". WHat the f*ck is that?

And Becca, Rocky, Lu, if you comment here... no need to name him. We know who he is. I don't need him googling himself and finding this. I just know he googles himself, of course he does. Right?

10 Comments:

  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger May1983 said…

    sweet...this is sad, but no boy has ever made me feel that way. They have made me want to puke, cry and slit my wrists, but i have never felt all overwehlmingly crush-happy around them...i guess when i do it might be the *one*...i will keep an eye out for the mullets~!

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger McRebeck said…

    LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL

    I have to be honest with you... I only think I know who you are talking about!! I mean there is only 1 dude with the eye thing and jacked up grill...

    You have my mind workin' girl!!

    You have inspired me though... I have been thinking about my hi-school crush too. LOL

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Mahd said…

    In general, it's best not to try and remember what we all looked like in high school. I just remember my many flannel shirts and I can't go on.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger Knows It All said…

    Ummm beck, the make out guy and the crush are two people. Crush and i never kissed or anything. I got two dances in my whole life.. and I can tell you when and to what song....

    Just note that one was to Milli Vanilli. Good times

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger ShooShoo said…

    HeeHee... This is so funny. Something I think just about all of us can relate to. I had quite a few of these heart-wrenching crushes myself... But one of the biggest was in middle school, and his name was Brian Geistlinger (pronounced GUY-slinger!). He was so sweet and innocent looking, tall and lanky with the feathered back hair (this was before the days of the mullet) and gorgeous blue eyes. I remember more than one dance where I had a friend ask if he'd dance a slow dance with me, he said he would then never did... And I of course would be bawling my head off to Open Arms or some other cheesy 80s ballad. ;) *sigh* Good times!

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger McRebeck said…

    Oh yeah "Girl you know its true" but dont "blame it on the rain" LOL.

    Thank you for clarifying the kisser and the crush, I got a little worried..LOL

    Kisser dude, scares me to this day.

    I hope it doesnt say anything about our friendship that I am baffled as to who the crush was. I think I am just fixated on the boyfriend from High School.

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Rocky said…

    I am sure he has followed your success over the years. It is St Johns afterall, and you know how people talk.

    If he only knew what he missed. You are pretty damn hot these days. After seeing you at our wedding, the guys couldn't stop talking about you. And for the record, no matter how akward you thought you looked in high school, they all noticed you back then, too!

     
  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger Little Star said…

    Too funny...
    I'm just glad I never had to fight him...

    Very cute smile, back when cocky and arragant was attractive...

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Knows It All said…

    Damn ShooShoo, that blows. But it's an awesome memory. I like one with my crush where I wrote him a letter telling him how I felt...no response. I still want to crawl under a rock thinking of that. The paper was colored too. Pathetic.

    Becca, umm....he was Hispanic, our year, and went to George and Portsmouth. I serioulsy thought that my crush on him defined me... but I guess I forgot about all the others. Good lord there were a ton.

    I specifically recall Jere Campbell and Brian Hoffert but there were hundreds. None like this though... none that endured for so long.

    Think Sweetheart Court and CAndyman partner. Lame, he had to dance with me. Racquel helped with that whole set up.

    God, I would never want to go back to highschool. I feel like an idiot still over all that.

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger May1983 said…

    Omigod...I feel the same way, I NEVER want to go back to RHS!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home